Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Rhubarb Pie


Until a couple years ago I had never had rhubarb, and until last night I have never tried to do anything with rhubarb. I wasn't quite sure I ever wanted to experiment with the celery like, poisonous leaf, sour plant either.  However last night I decided to be brave. I knew of only one thing to do with Rhubarb..... and that thing was:

Pie.

Rhubarb Pie.

"I can do this" I thought to myself, though I have made many pies before I have never made a pie crust (Pillsbury by the way, makes awesome pie crusts- and are conveniently stored in the refrigerator section of the grocery store).
Since this was a night for adventure I decided I would make the pie crust too.  Amazingly enough the whole thing turned out quite well and since I'm trying to blog more lately I decided I would take photographs to document the experience, and if your feeling bold, here's how to make a delicious rhubarb pie.

How to make Pie Crust:

Ingredients: (for a single pie crust)

                                                             1 1/2 cup flour
                                                             1/2 cup shortening
                                                             1teaspon salt
                                                             1/2 cup ice cold water


 Mix the flour, salt and shortening together until it is nice and crumbly, you want it to sorta look like you have small flour covered peas in your mix, then add the ice water gradually until moist enough so that it sticks together (pour in slowly as you may not need the entire 1/2 cup).

Next comes the pie!

How to make Rhubarb pie
Ingredients:

                                                            4 cups chopped Rhubarb
                                                            1 1/3 cup of sugar
                                                            6 tablespoons flour
                                                            Some butter to dot the top

                                                            Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.

Mix the flour and sugar together and pour 1/4 of the mixture in the bottom of the pie (as shown below).  This is important because the rhubarb itself has a lot of water in it so the sugar as it cooks on the bottom caramelizes and helps the crust become crispy and not soggy (who wants a soggy pie crust?)

Pour the chopped rhubarb on top of the sugar then dump the rest of the sugar mix on top- like so...


Doing it this way actually causes the sugar to soak into the rhubarb creating a consistent sweet and sour flavor throughout the whole pie.

Dot it with butter then cover


Cover it, seal your crust and slice some vents on the top.


Cook for 15 minutes at 450, then turn the oven down to 350 and continue cooking 40-45 minutes .

And then Tada! A beautiful golden brown pie, let cool (so it's not all runny inside), and enjoy!!



Love,
Carrie
 

3 comments:

  1. Whoah... impressive! You are definitely more daring then I, and it turned out so beautifully!! Well done little sister!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard good things about the, er, "consumer" end of this occasion... so you must have done well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice!! Love the detailed instructions- I've never tried it either, but now I just might!! Thanks!! :) Abby

    ReplyDelete